[extropy-chat] Original Sin was Bioethics Essay

Lifespan Pharma Inc. megao at sasktel.net
Tue May 24 17:10:45 UTC 2005

Dirk Bruere wrote:

> Lifespan Pharma Inc. wrote:
>
>> The Avantguardian wrote:

>>> Actually it WAS holy writ that knowledge was the
>>> Original Sin that got us kicked out of Eden.
>>>
>> We already have radical greens espousing the end of civilization and
>> "back to nature".
>> Of course they use the internet to organize and communicate their "ism".
>> http://www.greenanarchy.org  is one I check out every year or 2.
>>
>> However there is perhaps room for some combination of fundamentalists
>> of various religeons reacting to AI, Total Information Awareness ,
>> human bioengineering
>> that endangers the fundamentals of older "theisms" to form a new
>> Anti-Technology Theism.   Of course this would accomplish one good thing
>> that is uniting diverse religeons  into one theism instead of always
>> fighting each other
>> over who is more "right with god".
>>
>> Perhaps the religeous Armageddon and Christ and Anti-christ might be
>> portrayed by theisits
>> as development of a religeous "god's AI"  set out to destroy all
>> other Heathen AI's.????
>

> So far AI has avoided major political-religious complications,
> probably because it does not exist in a form that challenges overall
> Human supremacy. Of course, by the time such an AI does exist it will
> be too late for anyone to do anything. Hence IMO its a non-issue as
> far as we are concerned.

An AI with "free will" , emotions in a conscious state may make many
religeous and political decisions
if they are logical to its world view.
Like with a child a human "parents" more's only hold to a certain point
of maturity, which in terms of an AI might
only take minutes of real time.  We cannot assume that what any of us
deems logical will hold water to
a consciousness able to hold millions if not billions of interlinked
thought lines in conscious thought nonstop.

So maybe we should think about how the analysis of the world's religeons
by an AI might affect its
thoughts and actions.