[extropy-chat] Re: Question for Samantha on religion in the US?

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Wed May 25 01:05:10 UTC 2005

Brett Paatsch wrote:

> Dirk Bruere wrote:
>
>> ....let it not be said that there is no Transhumanist religion,
>> because there is.
>> And in common with all religions there are people that hate it.
>> QED
>

> Some people oppose religion almost reflexivly, and I am among
> them, but I think a religion Samantha would found might well be
> different, it would inevitably have a Samantha'ian flavour, and
> it would be opposed like all religions are opposed, but Samantha
> has a fierceness that does well in the face of  adversity and she
> clearly does have strong values that she is willing to champion.
>
> I would not join Samantha's religion but I would and am encouraging
> her to consider her idea in a practical way by looking
> at the legal aspects, because I think that exercise will be empowering
> to her, even if she does not ultimately go ahead with it.
> I think, many non religous people that were formerly religious
> miss some of the sense of community and the ritual, perhaps
> music and shared celebration of life that is found in religious
> groupings.  Seems to me that Samantha might be among those
> and that she is not alone.
> One does not have to form a religion to celebrate the birthday
> of a friend or to be pleased that they decided to get married
> or had a child, but some might like to have a community that
> mixes those things and perhaps if that community just happened
> to fit into the form of a religion that also supported things like
> the right of its members to be cryopreserved or something,
> then that community as a recognized religion would have a
> moral claim that it could make to the society in which it was
> legally based.
> I will not likely answer any clarion call to join up or to undergo
> a cryonics process and I think that there are many like me
> who also would not, but, some civil libertarians will answer a clarion
> call for support from practictioners of religions that do
> not necessary agree with, because they hold that the religious
> practise hurts no one and it is the legal right of people to practise
> a religion that hurts no one.
> If Samantha sees merit in cryonics I could see her being an
> excellent bridge to people who think of themselves as spiritual,
> long for ritual and meaning, and maybe christians that find
> some comfort in the idea of a resurrection. I think Samatha
> could possible get a lot of converts from christianity.
> Anyway its just a thought, and I'm now leaving the ball in
> Samantha's court, as I am already concerned that I may
> have made my case a little too well and their may be
> others who read this and who think yes, I think I will
> found a religion, and their religions, reflecting their values,
> may just become public nuisances, whereas I don't think
> Samantha's would.
> Brett Paatsch

Well, having already discovered my religion, Asatru, I did found my own
political party for memetic purposes.
However, I have toyed with the idea of creating my own sect of Asatru
around Transhumanist principles. I even made a start with some
preliminary essays on 'Asatru for Astheists'.
http://www.neopax.com/asatru/

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-