[extropy-chat] triskele

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Wed May 25 01:20:30 UTC 2005

>>>http://www.prometheism.net/
>>
>>Gotta love that dinky curvy swastika emblem, too.
>
>Yea... great isn't it? Except, of course, that it's not a Swastika but a
>stylised triskele.

In a world where South African racists notoriously used it as their symbol,
it's the ambiguity that concerns me; a disturbing choice, given all the
other iconography available in the world. See, for example:

http://www.adl.org/hate_symbols/neo-nazi_three_sevens.asp

Symbol Type

Neo-Nazi Symbol
Skinhead Symbol
Symbol Description: Three "sevens" (or "curved" sevens) spiraling from a
common center.
Also Known As

Triskelion, Three-Bladed Swastika, "Flowering Power"

Traditional Use/Origins

The triskele is an ancient symbol used widely in pre-Christian Europe. One
version of the triskele, with three human legs, has been used in the coat
of arms for the Isle of Man and the Kingdom of Naples. An abstracted
triskele appears on the seal of the United States Department of
Transportation. The version of the triskele that looks like three linked
sevens has a high degree of association with white supremacy, but other
versions do not and are most often used in a non-racist context. They may
frequently be seen in Celtic jewelry, artwork, and in other similar contexts.
Extremist Meaning or Representation

White supremacy; association with the swastika and Nazi Germany.
Background/History

Essentially a variation on the swastika, and popular for that reason, the
triskele was a symbol occasionally used by the Nazi regime, most notably as
the insignia for a Waffen SS division composed of Belgian volunteers. After
World War II, the "Three Sevens" version of the triskele was popularized by
white supremacists in Europe and South Africa. One South African group, the
AWB (Afrikaner Resistance Movement), used it as its flag, claiming that the
three sevens symbolized supremacy over the devil (frequently represented by
"666"). The symbol is also used as part of the logo of the international
racist skinhead group, Blood & Honour.