[extropy-chat] Car of the (near) future

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Thu May 26 02:30:34 UTC 2005

--- spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:

> The biggest driver in this direction will not be reduced oil
> coming out of the ground, but rather greatly increasing demand
> for motor fuels from China and India.  Those two outfits alone
> have over 2e9 right feet, eager for a gas pedal under them, eager
> for the freedom of mobility that we have enjoyed in the west.

The idea of 2e9 right feet all making the morning commute does not lend
itself to the phrase "freedom of mobility".

> My notion is that driving will not change all that much in
> the next 10 to 20 years, but that eventually we will do some
> of that radical downsizing.  It will not happen to a great extent
> until we burn up all the easy oil, all the stuff that can be pumped
> cheaply.  Until all of that is gone, government efforts to curb
> our thirst for oil is a waste of time.

Geeze Spike, you are going over to the dark side. Silicon valley
brownouts notwithstanding, for other reasons, Peak Oil is a shibboleth.

> The sitch is not desperate however.  I can imagine some plug-in
> hybrids on very small frames, so that our one-seaters will run
> partly on corn-derived alcohol and partly on the coal that the
> local power plant burns.  It won't be that bad, really.  A bit
> less comfortable, somewhat more dangerous and slower, but life
> as we have known it will go on.

Nah, I forsee pebble bed nuclear plants across the country being used
to recharge metal hydride fuel tanks for fuel cell power plants, right
before we figure out how to turn a metal hydride battery into a cold
fusion power plant.

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com