[extropy-chat] Car of the (near) future

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Thu May 26 02:51:14 UTC 2005

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Mike Lorrey
> The idea of 2e9 right feet all making the morning commute does not lend
> itself to the phrase "freedom of mobility"...

Ja I will be eager to see how they work that.  {8^D  They have
a huge problem with cities that were built without cars in
mind.  The Chinese seem to have less of a problem with
tearing stuff outta the way to make room for modernization
however (reference the great dam going in).

> > My notion is that driving will not change all that much in
> > the next 10 to 20 years...
>
> Geeze Spike, you are going over to the dark side. Silicon valley
> brownouts notwithstanding, for other reasons, Peak Oil is a shibboleth.

Ja I don't believe oil production will peak very soon.  But
I will give them that it will *eventually* peak.  When it
does, we will be OK.

> Nah, I forsee pebble bed nuclear plants across the country being used
> to recharge metal hydride fuel tanks for fuel cell power plants, right
> before we figure out how to turn a metal hydride battery into a cold
> fusion power plant.
>
> Mike Lorrey

OK, hope you are right Mike.  Keep in mind that those
technologies have been studied extensively.  The energy-
in-the-road infrastructure doesn't seem to be on the
immediate horizon.