[extropy-chat] prejudices/tribalism biologically "hardwired"

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Mon May 30 12:12:10 UTC 2005

The Avantguardian wrote:

>>Jeff Davis wrote:
>>

>>>Tribalism (ethnic, religious, nationalistic,
>>>linguistic, etc affiliation--with tribes any "us",
>>>

>>any
>>

>>>"them") is perhaps viewed as a kind of cultural
>>>accident (of birth, for the most part).
>>>

>>Concurrently,
>>

>>>there is the view that prejudice is a character
>>>

>>flaw
>>

>>>slash moral defect.  Not!  It's all in the genes.
>>>
>>>Another very good reason for genetic
>>>

>>"reengineering"
>>

>>>slash enhancement.
>>>

>>True - that my tribe!
>>

>Ug. No. Character flaw. What bout caveman from 2 tribe
>like mongrel dog. How gene make prejudice? Who make
>prejudice? Papa tribe? Mama tribe? All tribe?

Your prejudice is that its prejudice.
It most certainly isn't when it comes to belief eg religion, as quoted
as a criteria in the original post.
Somehow I don't think genes have much to do with me (and you presumably)
not including Pat Buchanan in our particular tribe. Except, of course,
in the utterly trivial manner of 'genes make us choose things'.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org