[extropy-chat] economics of scarcity to economics of plenty

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Tue Nov 1 11:05:45 UTC 2005

On Oct 31, 2005, at 4:58 AM, BillK wrote:

> So our magic machines will have to support a non-working population.
> How? Everybody on Social Security?

If our well-augmented future selves are not competitive relative to
pure AIs and robots then some other arrangement will be needed.  I
hope at some point that we reach a high enough level of abundance
that most physical necessities are easily available because they are
"too cheap to meter" after MNT.  Computational/information resources
would also likely be ubiquitous and nearly unimaginably powerful.
Medical care could easily be as cheap as a shot of nanobots and
occasional software upgrades freely available on the Net.  If that
much is so then there would be no such thing as abject poverty in the
sense of being homeless, lacking for food, and so on.  There would
also not be literal computational  have-nots although there could
well be some tools and capabilities that were not mass accessible.

The big question is whether human beings are the type of beings who
can create/open up to/live in this type of world.  The situation with
human starvation in the face of plenty of food production capacity
doesn't seem a promising sign.

- samantha