[extropy-chat] Futures Politics

Dirk Bruere dirk.bruere at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 21:39:57 UTC 2005

On 11/2/05, Natasha Vita-More <natasha at natasha.cc> wrote:

> Since I will be asked my political views this coming weekend in an
> interview with a French film on the future, I have outlined my futures
> politics as 4 points:
>
> 1. Nonpartisan. I believe that no political party today advocates
> solutions for the world's most immediate issues.
>
> 2. Neither right nor left, but "forward." Drawing a hard line between
> conservatives and liberals is ineffective and looking ahead is the best
> position to take when addressing what the world needs to focus on in the
> coming decades.
>
> 3. Futures Strategy. Designing strategic analysis of issues that society
> faces and producing alternative "futures" for society to review before
> voting. The Futures Strategy would provide the means for people - anywhere
> and at anytime - to learn about issues, possible options for dealing with
> and solving problems, and to voice their own opinions through a
> time-efficient and cost-effective P2P architecture.
>
> 4. Encouragement of critical thinking. In order to understand issues
> society needs to be skilled at critical thinking.
>
> Thoughts?

Item 1 is a non starter.
As long as different people have conflicting interests, or wish to solve a
particular problem using different methods, there will be partisan politics.

Item 2 - If by left/right is meant community/individual focus then it will
never be transcended.
Item 3 - This only works if there is a true meritocracy - not democracy.
OTOH people can voice their opinions now, except nobody is obliged to
listen.
Item 4 - A lot more than critical thinking is required. Educational
standards in general must rise significantly.

Dirk