[extropy-chat] riots in france

scerir scerir at libero.it
Sat Nov 5 18:33:17 UTC 2005

From: "spike"

> Specific question: they keep saying these
> are the worst riots since the 1968 student
> uprisings.  What were they rioting about
> in 1968?

In 1968 French students (and workers) were rioting
against the old politics (Gaullism), the 'establishment',
the old culture, and all that. But the same happened
in Italy, in Germany, in California (remember Marcuse? and
Angela Davis?), etc.

Now *immigrants* (not just the old 'Pieds-Noirs', but also
arabs and people coming from east) are rioting, around Paris,
because they cannot get a job, because of money. The economy
in France (but the same thing in Germany, and in Italy, etc.)
is in bad condition. Our growth is < 1%. Your (US) growth is
well > 3%.

s.