[extropy-chat] Booke Review: A post-human Brave New World?

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 09:21:27 UTC 2005

On 11/6/05, Neil H. wrote:
> Personally, I think the root of the dystopia in Huxley's novel wasn't the
> access to advanced technologies, but the all-controlling World State. Minus
> the totalitarian government, I think Huxley's world would be quite a
> desirable one to live in.
>
> Some snippets from the review:
> >
> > What is at stake here is nothing less than our vision of humanity.
> Kurzweil believes we have "physical frailties" and "suffering brains" that
> should be fixed. Others believe in the power of humanity and marvel at Tiger
> Woods's golf swing, commuters navigating rush-hour traffic in Paris and
> doctors eradicating smallpox from the planet. This latter view also believes
> in the power of technology not to fix frail people, but to enhance
> remarkable human capabilities.

Yes, but - a big BUT...
Tiger Woods has had laser eye surgery to improve his eyesight above
20/20 and GPS range-finding devices are now legal in golf.
The road traffic death and mutilation rates are an ongoing disaster.
Antibiotic resistant mutations are appearing rapidly around the world,
and doctors make many mistakes also.

Humanity could do with a lot of enhancement.

BillK