[extropy-chat] riots in france

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Mon Nov 7 03:11:24 UTC 2005

On Nov 6, 2005, at 10:11 AM, Dirk Bruere wrote:

> On 11/6/05, Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:
> Funny,  I know quite a few well-integrated Muslims.  Looking back in
>
> Obviously.
> If they weren't particularly integrated you wouldn't know them.
> Let me guess - those Moslems were well educated middle class
> professionals?

A mix of folks with a couple of blue collar families thrown in.  But
mostly middle class.

> history, riots, especially of the poor, are not generally religion-
> centric.   These particular riots are not claimed, or led by any
> Islamic group.  So is this a case of guilt by association and seeing
> evidence for what one already believes?
>
> It is evidence of a religiously (self) defined self ghettoising and
> generally racially distinct underclass that may well be a permanent
> feature of the European landscape.

Many distinct cultural groups were long self-ghettoized or ghettoized
by external pressure is US history.  Many of my older friends grew up
in large cities that effectively had pretty separate Polish, Irish.
Jewish, Puerto Rican, Italian and Black communities and sections of
the city.    Some of these fully qualified as ghettos.

I don't think there is enough data here to claim that the problem is
Muslim or one of Muslim separatism or self-ghettoization.

- samantha