[extropy-chat] Seven cents an hour? (was: Riots in France)

Jack Parkinson isthatyoujack at icqmail.com
Sun Nov 13 03:48:59 UTC 2005

> From: "John K Clark" <jonkc at att.net>
> Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] Seven cents an hour? (was: Riots in
> France)
> To: "ExI chat list" <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
>
> "BillK" <pharos at gmail.com>
>
>> Do you appreciate that Walmart is the biggest enemy that America has?
>
> I have been on this list for about 10 years and I believe the above remark
> is the single stupidest statement I have ever seen here...

It's all a matter of perception. If it is true (as is widely reported) that
half of Wal-Marts workers live below the US poverty line and cannot afford
basic health care - then this surely places a huge burden on society (and is
breeding dissent for future trouble) - and the only balancing beneficiaries
are the Walton family.

If, hypothetically, Wal-Mart was replaced by several thousand smaller
independent stores, all paying their employees a decent living wage, and all
competing to keep prices low, wouldn't the US be better off in overall
terms?

There would be better job opportunities (a lot more choice), better wages,
more wealth in circulation, more opportunities to start and run  a small
business - and consumers would have more choice as to where they spent their
money...

Jack Parkinson