Driving was Re: [extropy-chat] Seven cents an hour?

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 15:22:06 UTC 2005

40 km (=24.85 miles) x 2 = 49.7 miles - in two hours?

Wow, when I drive to work, I make 45 miles in 45 minutes.

What kind of a car are you driving? Burning 6 liters( = 1.584 gallons)
for 49.7 miles in very slow driving makes 31.4 mpg. Even hybrids don't
always get this kind of mileage. And the lower number you give, 4
liters both ways, would make it 47.1 mpg, beyond even Prius territory
(in real life, as opposed to salesman pitch).

I burn about 16 $ a day over about 90 miles.

Rafal