[extropy-chat] Re: riots in France

Dirk Bruere dirk.bruere at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 21:42:00 UTC 2005

On 11/14/05, Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:

> With material plenty do you think this is likely? But wait, I thoroughly
> believe in the right to obtain and bear arms. So we may disagree or

Material plenty simply means that the fighting will be over power, religion
and ideology.

which kinds of things are a problem. A nano-factory cannot produce anything
> it doesn't have a blueprint for. That is one level of control.

How much of a blueprint does a gene machine require to synthesise a gene?

Nanofactories could come with certain built-in restrictions giving another
> level of control. The problems could also be addressed by something like the
> broadcast model proposed by Ralph Merkle (
> http://www.zyvex.com/nanotech/selfRepJBIS.html).
> Generally speaking I am more interested in empowering people and in
> fighting abuses they actually do commit than in keeping them harmless by
> decreasing their abilities and access.
>
> I think that such factories will be common, and that restrictions on their
use will be just as effective as DRM is in music today.

Dirk