[extropy-chat] Re: History in the making is so bland...

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Nov 16 19:55:14 UTC 2005

On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 01:20:51PM -0600, Jay Dugger wrote:

> This matches Papert's comments yesterday on PRI's "The World" radio
> show. Now doubt any announcement will show up on /., digg,
> del.icio.us/popular, etc. So--any suggestion on how to handle the
> inevitable comments about why this isn't being done for every single
> child in <Insert Place Here>?

Because they already have access to dead tree textbooks?

Giving unsupervised kids computers is worse than useless: it correlates
with poor educational achievement.

With a proper curriculum and support from (trained! and motivated!)
teachers portable computers can be a wonderful tool. And of course
we need educational software which just isn't there.

Giving poor students laptop makes sense because it saves on
textbooks. I understand some U.S. schools issued their students
iBooks for the same reason.

(I still don't get why they turned down Joabses free OS X offer.
I just hope their second choice was Linux).