[extropy-chat] Re: History in the making is so bland...

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Wed Nov 16 19:41:37 UTC 2005

--- Jay Dugger <jay.dugger at gmail.com> wrote:
> So--any suggestion on how to handle the
> inevitable comments about why this isn't being done for every single
> child in <Insert Place Here>?

If <Insert Place Here> is a foreign country: among the responsibilities
of a country's government is to invest in its people, and this is cheap
enough that even poor third world countries should be able to do it.
So why don't you ask them why they're failing to invest in this manner?
(And find out, in many cases, that their own government is often the
main reason this isn't being done, wanting to keep its people repressed
and its elites wealthy - for the wise-acres, to a far greater degree
than any Western government is presently attempting.)

If <Insert Place Here> is somewhere else within your nation: same
argument, but apply it to the local government.  In the case of a
different US state, for example, the state government.  (One won't
usually find deliberate repression, and perhaps this is something that
most industrialized countries could afford for their own children.  But
one might run into other obstacles.)

If <Insert Place Here> is your own community...well, at least in my
case, that might actually happen - for the small fraction of children
who do not have access to personal computers already.  (Though it may
be debated if we need to go that far, given the computers that are
already publically available for these types of cases.)  At the very
least, local governments around here would be willing to listen if
someone (like, say, the person suggesting it) proposed it to them.
Your answers may vary depending on where you live.