[extropy-chat] Re:Just trying to figure it out

Anna Tylor femmechakra at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 18 06:55:33 UTC 2005

Ok, again sorry to be bothering you
I have a few questions when you have some available time
I really don't want to be bothersome but what can I do,  I really want feed
back
These are my questions, comments and curiosity?
Don't rush, please take your time, I know your busy and I really don't want
annoy you
Thanking you again
Anna:)

So let me get this right:
Eliezer Yudkowsky created the Singularity Institute,
which in, before or after wrote "Seed AI", "Levels
of organization in General Intelligence", "Ethical
Cognitive enhancement", "Creating Friendly AI" and
"Shock Levels".
-I'm sure his written more,  but I'm asking if these are
-his most popular works?
-and yes.. i've read them all, many times
-and yes.. I think they are brilliant

The Foresight Institute is preparing for nanothechnology:
-They are focused on their challenges such as
-meeting Global energy with clean solutions
(very recommendable)
-Clean Water Globally
(It's about time)
-Increasing health and longevity of human life
-Maximizing Productivity of Agriculture
-Making powerful information Technology available
everywhere
-Understanding the development of space

The Extropy Institute
by Max Moore
"A think tank "Ideas Market" for the future of
social change brought about by consequential
technologies"- Martin
"An original philosophy from transhumanists"
"As the extent of a living or organization system's
intelligence, functional order, vitality energy,
life experience and capacity and drive improvement
and growth."
Please read "Principles of Extropy" or "Precautionary
principles"

Transhumanism:
by Julien Huxley 1957- the remaining human, but
transcending oneself by realizing new possibilities
of and for his or her human nature.

by Dr. Anders Sandberg- describes modern transhumanism
as "the philosopy that we can and should develop to
higher levels, physically, mentally and socially using
rational methods"

by wiki- there exists an ethical imperative for humans
to strive for progress and improvement of the
human condition

Should I have read (based on your opinion) Transhuman
Principles?

A little of Broderick, Smith and Einstein--we
could have all the answers.  no?

Einstein's success:
--Special Relativity
--Brownian Methos
--Photoelectric Effect
--Equation E=MC2
Quote by Einstein
"Quamtum mechanics is certainly imposing.  But an
inner voice tells me it is not yet the real thing.
The theory says a lot but does not really bring
us any closer to the secret of the old one.  I, at
any rate, am convinced that He does not throw dice"

Quotes I didn't agree with regarding transhumanism:

wiki: about transhumanism
while Dr. Robin Hanson describes it as
"the idea that new technologies are likely
to change the world so much in the next
century or two that our descendants will
in many ways no longer be 'human'."

wiki: about transhumanism
A more notable critic of transhumanism is Bill Joy,
co-founder of Sun Microsystems, who argued in his essay
Why the future doesn't need us that human beings
would likely guarantee their own extinction by
transhumanist means. This led some to conclude
that humanity has an inherent lack of competence
to direct its own evolution.

What I didn't agree about Yudkowsky:

For those of you who went directly to
Singularitarianism without stopping off at
transhumanism along the way, and are wondering why
the heck I'm going to such lengths not to say anything
bad about selfishness, it's because a number of
"transhumanist ethical philosophies are selfish in
a foundational sense.  This is a very formal sort
of "selfishness" - for example, gaining selfish
pleasure by gratifying your personal impulse towards
charity is entirely acceptable (except to loony
Objectivists).  In my personal opinion this is
part of the general overreaction of technocapitalist
philosophies to the great Communist disaster,
but that is, of course, only my opinion.)"
I'm not clear about this?
this is personal opinion about?
-When I started researching I started at AI and broke
-it down to transhumanisn.  You can have selfish desires
-and fufill them at the same time and give back to
-humanity by making a positive impact on society? no?

And by that time, some existing supergenius like
myself will have long since built a Strong RSI
that doesn't pass through the bottleneck
of 200Hz neurons.
-I'm not sure if this is him. I hope not,  but I did
file it under his name.  (But i'm not sure) Please
let me know
-you may have "long since built a Strong RSI
-that doesn't pass through the bottleneck
-of 200Hz neurons."
-but your ego will not let you become anything else
-than what you've become: Self-centered+egotistical+
-smart=a very dangerous combination

If you have something to say, don't phrase it in
the form of a question.  This holds especially
true for your first post.  Don't say:
"I'm new here, but wouldn't X be Y?"  Say:
"I object, because I think that X will be Y",
or just "X will be Y."
--if someone comes to the site and has something to say:
--a moderator should (not in all cases)1 acknowledge
--that a person is trying to make contact.
--If a person feels rejected or put down, chances are,
--they won't be coming back..
--How does that promote the cause?
A lot of people are smart and have a need to learn.
It is unfortunate that popularity and difference
combine together actually create something of
a significance..but that's the way it is.
a cause needs to be public..therefore you need to make
in known to the vast population
Does anybody have any idea how they are going to
do this?
Quoting Andrian Tymes:
I have often found it a useful tactic to try to
explain the concepts to an imaginary child -
mostly to force myself to restate the concept in
clear and simple terms
(literally, in terms that an average child would
understand).

If you have a genuine question, please consider
sending it to me rather than the list,
especially if it looks like a question about
the basics.  If you have some question that
looks blatantly obvious but isn't discussed
anywhere - a "Well why didn't anyone think of this?"
question - then please check with me first,
because it almost certainly has been discussed
already.  You may also want to check the
"Indexed FAQ" in "Creating Friendly AI".
-This I won't comment on

Based upon (not in all cases)1
This is a science-literate mailing list.
If you're still unclear about whether humans
evolved or were planted on Earth by flying
saucers, you're welcome to read SL4, but you
probably won't like what you read, and your
first post will probably be your last.
There could be an exception to this rule.
We just haven't encountered it yet.
-this can happen there are "kooks"..lol..out there,
(and they must not be critized, just removed from
the setting)
but in general, for an ordinary, average human
trying to grasp the theory seems almost impossible.
How is it going to become worldwide or accepted if
nobody knows to understand it?

If you don't post an angry reply calling the
moderator an evil dictator, it means you're a wimp.
-This would be a naturel instinct based on criticism
and lack of self-confidence

However, this analysis is valid only if
the pulsar exhibits no proper motion with
respect to solar barycenter. Since this is
likely never to be the case, a relativistic
correction must be made to account for the
Earth's constantly changing velocity with respect
to the reference frame of the pulsar source.
-I lost my notes on this and am curious if anybody
can help me out.
-When I quoted this, what was he talking about?