[extropy-chat] A successful company?

Gary Miller aiguy at comcast.net
Sun Nov 20 02:00:15 UTC 2005

I'd add the following although I don't disagree with any of your high level
goals.  These goals could vary depending on the size of your enterprise.

5. A good IT group to give you a net presence and minimize the expenses of
running your operation from inventory control, manufacturing and accounting
perspective.

6. A just in time inventory system to reduce your inventory carrying cost
and reduce spoilage in the vitamin ingredients that have a short shelf life.
Also consider coatings which could delay oxidation of ingredients.   I hate
it when my vitamins go bad and I half to hold my breath when I take them.
And no I'm not going to throw away $20 woth of vitamins just because they
smell bad.

7. A quality control lab to perform receiving inspection on your ingredients
to protect your image/reputation and to protect your company from liability.
(Remembering GNC L-Tryptophen disaster from years back)

8. A good work environment, fair pay, benefits and background checks to
reduce likelihood of product tampering, employee theft, extreme addiction
problems, etc... again to protect  image/reputation and liability costs.

9. A five year business plan which will allow you plan for growth, obtain
credit for expansion, and allow you to value your business for insurance
purposes or potential sale.

10. A R&D group to devise vitamin combinations to reduce the number of pills
people need to take each morning for specific consumer problems and/or
gender/age groups.  This also serves to differentiate your line vitamins
from those of your competition.