[extropy-chat] Qualia Bet

Brent Allsop allsop at extropy.org
Sun Nov 27 17:34:36 UTC 2005

Marc Geddes commented:

 > (1) Qualia are a separate substance which can
exist independently of the material world (substance dualism)

 > (2)  'Qualia' is simply a misnomer - all that
exists are physical processes (materialism)

 > (3)  'Qualia' themselves are not physical, but
they are entirely *caused by* and *dependent on* physical

  > processes (non-reductive physicalism)

 > (1) Seems to have been largely ruled out by
modern science but options (2) and (3) are still very much

 >  alive.   Daniel Dennett would be an example
of someone who champions (2), David Chalmers an example

 >  of someone who champions (3).

I think you should restate (2) to instead say:
“all that exists are causal physical processes.
(causal being all that can be observed through cause and effect detection.)

Then you can add a (4) which includes my theory
that qualia are physical processes.  Like causal
physical properties, qualia are also
physical.  They are just more than simply causal
– i.e. there is something they are phenomenally
“like” which is ineffable to traditional cause
and effect observation.  Also, If you say qualia
are *caused by* and *dependent on* how is it not
a “physical process1 or how is it different than a physical process”?

Brent Allsop