[extropy-chat] Qualia Bet

Brent Allsop allsop at extropy.org
Sun Nov 27 18:34:26 UTC 2005

At 02:48 AM 11/25/2005,  Marc Geddes wrote:

>it is still an open question whether qualia are illusions (i.e they
>are really material processes) or whether qualia have a reality over
>and above the physical processes which gave rise to them.

This is a stupid thing to say.  Daniel Dennett made the same stupid
mistake when he said: "we don't have qulia - it only seems we do" in
"Consciousness explained."

An "illusion" is information that doesn't accurately represent its
referent.  When we look at the pencil in a glass of water, it appears
bent to us because water refracts the light resulting in our
conscious knowledge being bent or not like the real pencil which is
not bent.  But this doesn't change the reality of our "bent"
knowledge and what it is really like.

When we are talking about qualia or phenomenal properties we are
talking about the final representation and their natures - not
whether these representation are mistakenly not like themselves or
something.  Our knowledge of the pencil is really bent - this is the
seeming.  But what we are asking is - what is the nature of this bent
pencil that is our conscious knowledge.  The fact that it is
different from the real pencil has nothing to do with this conversation?

To say a quale is an illusion and hence do not exist is to say we
have a qualia or our knowledge, that doesn't accurately represent
something (what?).  This is absurd because it is the phenomenal
property itself and its qualities that we are talking about in the
first place.  We are not talking about whether these phenomenal
properties improperly represent something else.

Though an illusion is conscious knowledge that doesn't accurately
represent something - it is still very real and like what it is
like.  And what this very real knowledge is like is what we are
talking about here.  Conscious knowledge is what it is - it can't be
an "illusion".  Even if a quale was an illusion - we would be talking
about whatever it is that is this incorrect "seeming" - not the fact
that it was - if it only some how could be - incorrect.

Brent Allsop