[extropy-chat] Extropy, Political Viewpoint and the Future of ExI's List

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Thu Oct 6 20:49:02 UTC 2005

On Oct 6, 2005, at 1:21 PM, nvitamore at austin.rr.com wrote:

> From: Samantha
>

>> Hey, I am a "crazed futurist" and I believe you are too!
>>

> Yes and proud of it! :-)

Good.

>> The cutting
>> edge is never "mainstream".  That is not its nature.
>>

> Wooha - wait a minute. We are frequently discussed in the
> mainstream, like
> it or not.  I usually do at least one mainstream interview a month
> and or
> tv/film interview.   (Actually, the mainstream may not like us.)
> The point
> is that the mainstream is not as ill-informed as it once was.

The point is that what you originally said needed clarification.
Thanks for providing some.

>>  To attempt to
>> make it so merely dulls the edge and removes its original importance
>> and compromises its message.   In order to become a real memetic
>> force the memetic message needs to be fully developed, powerful,
>> inspiring and unique relative to dominant mainstream voices.
>> Attempting to be more mainstream per se is suicidal to fully
>> developing an authentic and unique voice that changes the mainstream
>> by inspiring rather than by attempting to blend in.
>>

> Come back Samantha ... - you are going a bit too far off into
> blandville
> for me.

Huh?  Sorry if I misunderstood where you were coming from.  But how
is this response justified?

>> Exactly what are you calling "outlandish political positioning"?
>>

> I wasn't referring to any people that were on this list who are
> missed.

By whom?  I miss some of the people who believe some types of
politics are crucial to realizing extropy.  Hence my question.

>> Such words can be deeply troubling to many here and who were once
>> here and are sorely missed.
>>

> Outlandish political positioning relates to the idea--the very
> idea--that
> politics is of more importance than Extropy.  That to me, my dear, is
> ridiculous.  Extropy is about more than any narrow or wide
> ideological vein
> that usually runs hot and red and separates intelligent and creative
> thinkers by pitting them against each other.

Extropy is in part an ideology.  Its realization and the increase of
extropy in reality includes politics or it is little more than
excited hand waving.

> What is extropy!?  The extent of a system's intelligence, information,
> energy, life, experience, diversity, opportunity, and growth!
> Let's hear
> it roar!!  GROWTH! ENERGY! DIVERSITY! OPPORTUNITY! INTELLIGENCE!
> LIFE!

Great.  So where does the rubber meet the road?

- samantha