[extropy-chat] Futures Past

Greg Burch gregburch at gregburch.net
Sun Oct 9 22:57:42 UTC 2005

Hal, I had forgotten this.  In some ways, our exchange is even more telling for the sea-change my own thinking and attitudes have undergone since then than the original projections, because we were having our discussion right at the very precipice of the Bust.

Two items in the discussion hit home personally.  The first is the discussion of VR/retina painters.  I invested heavily in the company that I mentioned in the exchange you site -- Microvision.  That company has working technology that every single person who has seen it comes away from convinced that a major revolution in interface technology is just around the corner.  But that's been true for SEVEN YEARS.  They have been on the verge of de-listing for the last five years and I lost a literal fortune in my investment in the company.  It's hard not to have an experience like that and become very, very skeptical of future projections.

The other item is the deregulation and "networking" of the electrical power market.  Again, our exchange took place *right before* the implosion of Enron and others in that industry and the collapse of a dream and multple mega-fortunes.  I continue to believe there was nothing fundamentally wrong with the basic concepts behind the industry.  But the execution of those concpets ... well, the library of books that have been written about the subject continues to grow.  Again, it was a case of "breathing your own fumes" fueled by initial success running headlong into the complexity of politics and the unpredictability of the moral judgments key individuals might make.  Smoke from the bonfire of dollars going up in smoke around me in downtown Houston during 2000 and 2001 has clouded my dreams ...

GB