[extropy-chat] Futures Past

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 9 23:46:17 UTC 2005

--- Harvey Newstrom <mail at harveynewstrom.com> wrote:

> In fact, can anybody point to a major futurist
> prediction by any
> transhumanist type that has actually come true?
> Anybody?  Are we
> really predicting anything more accurately than the
> mainstream press?
> Or have all our minority predictions failed to
> occur?

It depends entirely on what you mean by "coming true".
Does violent political opposition to the technologies
that you (the old guard) have predicted count as those
predictions coming true? In a way, one can say yes,
after all I don't see the government scrambling to ban
unicorns and the tooth fairy. Therefore the technology
IS there and the government fears it. What you all
failed to predict was how the government would react.
But some days I can't predict how I will react so I
hardly see any shame in that.

The Avantguardian
is
Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it through not dying." - Woody Allen

"Our hope of immortality does not come from any religions, but nearly all religions come from that hope" - Robert G. Ingersoll