[extropy-chat] Futures Past

Robin Hanson rhanson at gmu.edu
Mon Oct 10 11:26:58 UTC 2005

At 02:04 AM 10/10/2005, Harvey Newstrom wrote:
>>>My real interest is whether transhumanists have been better at
>>>predicting the future than mainstream predictors.
>>
>>If this is your interest there is really no practical substitute
>>for the sort of data analysis I proposed earlier today.  You need
>>to collect predictions by transhumanists and by others and look at
>>the coefficient on TRANSHUMANIST? when accuracy is the dependent
>>variable.  I know it is more fun to flame and bait, selectively
>>recalling the predictions one got right and others got wrong ...
>
>Why do you think I am asking for examples?  Why do you think Robert
>posted his early claims and compared them with actual results?  ...
>So far, everybody seems to be having a cordial and accurate recall
>of our past.  ... Come on, and join in the fun.

I didn't mean to imply that people were not enjoying themselves, nor
that the examples being recalled could not be included in such an
analysis.  I meant to call attention to the difference between such
informal conversation and the sort of systematic analysis needed.

Associate Professor of Economics, George Mason University
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030-4444
703-993-2326  FAX: 703-993-2323