The Amazing Cellular Repair device was Re: [extropy-chat] Futures Past

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Oct 11 08:36:03 UTC 2005

On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 04:57:49PM +1000, Brett Paatsch wrote:
> Whilst looking through my hardcopy files for the Fahy article on the
> feasibility of brain repair I found these diagrams on a "Merckle-Drexler
> scenario" for a "Nanotechnology derived Cell Repair Device". The
> source (which does contain the Fahy article, is an Alcor publication
> from 1993).
>
> See if you can see what's wrong with the picture.

An artists conception of a machine-phase device.

> Here's the device. http://www.entrepitec.com.au/page2A.html
>
> Here's the device shown against a background with red blood
> cells.  http://www.entrepitec.com.au/page3A.html

More or less accurate scale. Compare with http://moleculardevices.org/howbig.htm
(flash required, zoom down to the erythrocyte level and down do the smallest
scale, then look down at the rendered picture).

> Here's the same device drawn approaching a synapse.
> http://www.entrepitec.com.au/page4A.html

This is silly, of course.

> Hint. A red blood cell has a diametre of around 2000 to
> 8000 nanometres.
>
> A synaptic gap might be about 5 nanometres across. The lipid
> membrane of a cell is about 6 nanometres.

You can about fit the neon pump or the planetary gear across
a lipid bilayer membrane (see bottom http://moleculardevices.org/howbig.htm )

> Sadly, what seems possible to us when we are younger and
> less knowledgeable *because* we are less knowledgeable does
> not always remain possible.

I'm not sure what your point is trashing a single picture, done
by an artist (these usually don't have scientific training).