[extropy-chat] Futures Past--time-line

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Oct 11 09:16:08 UTC 2005

On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 12:05:21PM +1000, Daniel Assange wrote:

> Shouldn't we also be considering quantum computing? A quantum computer
> isn't just a suped-up standard one; the computational process is

Practical quantum computers don't yet exist, in the first place.
Only recently has few-qubit entanglement been achieved in the solid
state. It is not obvious QC is ever going to scale to interesting
qubit assemblies, for at least three unrelated reasons.

I don't know what's wrong with just using classical computing.
It would take a large number of qubits to beat a classical
computer containing a mole of switches.

> fundamentally different. One would expect an AI written to utilise
> this fundamental difference to be significantly more powerful, and

It is not obvious that the space of QC algorithm has AI-relevant
ones, despite http://www.cic.unb.br/~weigang/qc/aci.html