[extropy-chat] A view of what politics is.

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Tue Oct 11 17:11:19 UTC 2005

A couple of people posted me off list asking what I thought politics was.
I wrote.

------

I think politics is behaviour that arises when there is a recognition
that some mutually desired resource is scarce.

Its fundamental. Only social creatures that recognize other social
creatures are potentially aspiring for the same scarce resource
will practice politics.

Fundamentally, to understand human politics we have to understand
that humans are social creatures that perceive a shortage of resources.

The recognition of resource scarcity results in competitive behaviour
that can include cooperating with some others to better compete for
scarce resources.

There's more, but I think that is it in a nut shell.

-----

This is no great working definition, its just my seat of the pants sense.

Brett Paatsch