[extropy-chat] A sad day

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 11 17:24:17 UTC 2005

> >On Tue, 11 Oct 2005, Russell Wallace wrote:
> Even if you triggered the full-size earthquake I think you could
> drastically reduce casualties and damage by triggering it on a
> schedule.

Actually, as tension tends to build over time, if you release it early,
you will naturally get a less severe quake. It would be a constant
exercise, though, as release of tension on one point of a fault tends
to translate most of that tension to other points on the fault or onto
nearby faults. See the following:
http://www.seismo.nrcan.gc.ca/research/oncelagu2002.pdf
http://geology.about.com/library/weekly/aa022303a.htm

This is why you get aftershocks, for instance: you translate stress to
other locations that are less solid, and rapidly release.

It would take a significant amount of explosive, though, to trigger a
quake, though the effect could be amplified by drilling and injecting
water and/or CO2 into a fault to help lubricate it.

Even if this practice works, it likely won't help areas like Pakistan.
Typically areas with significiant government or insurance industry
funding would afford to maintain such operations on an ongoing basis,
like ski patrollers blasting avalanches.

Mike Lorrey
Founder, Constitution Park Foundation:
http://constitutionpark.blogspot.com
Personal/political blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com