[extropy-chat] Alternative to Cryo was The AmazingCellularRepairdevice

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sat Oct 15 21:50:51 UTC 2005

On Sat, Oct 15, 2005 at 09:19:45AM -0700, spike wrote:

> Actually I would think that kind of information would
> be better than keeping the actual lump of frozen
> meat.  If in the far future they figure out

It would be, because we then could keep redundant, self-repairing
copies across remote locations. Basically, the same approach
as today's backups: keep at least two copies remote enough
from causal entanglement with a disaster destroying the master.
Unfortunately, no such scanning technology currently exists,
so the best storage medium for the cephalon in the vitrified
noggin, verbatim. Just top off the dewar with liquid nitrogen
regularly, and all is dandy.

> how to place atoms in any given state in any
> given position, the futurians would have an
> outside chance of recreating our brains, in
> fresh new bodies.  I want a buff one this time.

If you have a system capable of imaging a kg chunk
of biological tissue at atomic resolution at cryogenic
conditions, you would also have a system which could
extrude arbitrary number of copies of it. (Or any frozen
dinners, for that compiler-matter).

Or also build honking large computers which could do
some interesting processing on slices of such arrays
containing digitized neuroanatomy. But, hey, I am a
broken record.

> If a destructive brain scan could somehow
> be performed without the freezing process,
> that might be a more promising approach than
> cryonics.

Alas, no can do. The only way to scan live tissue
in situ is with invasive nanoware, and that need not
be destructive. Also, without an AI-driven Singularity
we won't have those within our natural biological
lifespans, so the dewar continues to beckon with
a grisly charm.