[extropy-chat] Alternative to Cryo was TheAmazingCellularRepairdevice

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Sat Oct 15 23:01:25 UTC 2005

spike wrote:

> [...]

The atoms that you are composed of are mostly the ones
used by growing things. The organic chemistry ones.

Organic chemistry grows well but extrudes baddly.

I don't see how any future technology could put your
atoms back together by rebuilding the organic chemistry
structures.

You grew Spike. Your weren't put together in lego
block fashion. The organic chemistry, proteins, lipids
etc that make you up and hold your atoms in position
only hold together as they do under certain limits of
temperature and pressure etc.

If we could magically put all your atoms (the organic
chemistry atoms) into a file, the take that file and
magically recreate all the structures in the same place
then I'd agree we'd have a perfect functional equivalent
of the old Spike. But that process involves magic at
a couple of steps.

Its not clear to me that you can make a new Spike like
brain and body with a lego-block assembly approach
any more than you can make say an ice cream out of
steal.

You can't keep the heat out of the reassembly meat.
You can't get the nanobots if you had them small
enough to get into the spaces you need them too
in sufficient numbers fast enough because the organic
stuff your building with (cos that whats your old info
pattern was based on) will start to break down faster
than you can possibly build it (even with magic nanobot
technology).

Brett Paatsch