[extropy-chat] three coins in a fountain, part 3: the test

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky sentience at pobox.com
Sat Oct 22 02:53:06 UTC 2005

spike wrote:

> The game then would be to see how a contestant
> would distribute the confidence levels.  The
> head-prole test maker must assign probability
> levels to each possible answer, then multiply
> the responses probability distribution by the
> pre-decided distribution, then normalize the
> score to 1.  We want a perfect score on this
> kind of test to be 1.

No no no.  You multiply the logarithm of the response's probability by
the pre-decided distribution.  You *must* do it that way for reasons
explained in http://yudkowsky.net/bayes/technical.html.  Otherwise
you're just doing weird things with no mathematical interpretation, like
adding up the temperature of all the stars in the sky.