[extropy-chat] gm biodiesel 'em

Lifespan Pharma Inc. megao at sasktel.net
Mon Oct 24 03:51:53 UTC 2005

spike wrote:

>>Dirk Bruere wrote:
>>

>>>And the politically correct are OK about converting farmland from food
>>>to fuel production in an increasingly hungry world?
>>>
>>>Dirk
>>>

>Increasingly hungry?  We have an ever-increasing problem
>in the west with producing way too much food.  Prices
>for most food crops are terrible.  Sure there
>are hungry places on this planet, but producing more
>here cannot help that.  It is not economically viable
>to ship it there.  If the politically correct have a
>solution that will help the hungry and still pay the
>farmers, I am all ears.

We have the food quantity down pretty well, it is now the pharma
phytochemicals that can augment
healthspan that need to be pushed even if it reduces the bulk of the
food material production
mechanisms.

In some ways we will be  transforming crops into "santa claus" machines
able to produce many different
products on demand.

Let the bulk base materials  be grown for the least distance to
transport the major volumes but let the
minor phytochemicals be grown where the logistics are the worst for bulk
volume production economics.

>>bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Lifespan Pharma Inc.
>>Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] gm biodiesel 'em
>>
>>... the phytochemicals in the canola/rape  plant foliage must be worth
>>enough as  food and industrial ingredients
>>to justify the majority of the resource petrochemical  inputs  to be
>>used to simply produce more  petrochemical inputs.
>>

>I have a notion that we will develop agriculture
>techniques that use far less energy than current
>practices.  We will find ways to cultivate crops
>without the energy intensive and costly procedure
>of disking soil for instance.  Canola and winter
>rye are appealing in that they are nitrogen fixers,
>which allow me to reduce investment in certain
>fertilizers for the next crop.

Canola and winter rye are nitogen users, especially canola.
It's the legumes peas, chickeas, soybeans that can get closer to taking care
of themselves.

But you're otherwise right.  Perennial wheat with a good bit of gene
tweaking could not only
perform like its annual sibling but also be the source of phytochemicals
if specially bred lines were  stimulated
epigenetically prior to a growth season.

Biopharmmag.com had the budgets for biotech crop pharming about 2 years
ago and its past set and mark
and ready for GO.