[extropy-chat] Getting AId to people in need (such as dope)

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sat Sep 3 17:20:17 UTC 2005

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Mike Lorrey
> And, once again, FEMA also expected people to follow the mandatory
> evacuation order...perhaps that is more a commentary on those who chose to
stay for
> various reasons, good or bad, than on the system...
> Mike Lorrey

I had a random idea, not too closely related to Mike's
comment, but here goes:

I will define addiction broadly as any behavior which
leads people to do irrational things to satisfy the
addiction.  (Of course by that definition we are all
addicted to sex, but let us set that one aside for
the moment.) Let us focus on chemical addictions, to
include tobacco, some recreational drugs, and alcohol,
but exclude necessities such as food, water and sex.

We have likely seen heavy smokers get in a sitch where
they had no access to tobacco.  I went backpacking with
a smoker whose cigs were ruined by water.  He hiked out
on the second day, perfect weather, terrific conditions,
no tobacco, he was outta there.  {8^D  How much more
crazy would he have acted had he been addicted to
heroin or crack or something?

Now imagine a place where a larger than usual percentage
of the proles were addicted to something, and they were
acting irrationally to satisfy the urge.  That wouldn't
be a pleasant sitch.  Now recall that they interviewed
a bunch of the New Orleans people, asking why they
didn't flee the storm.  A very large percentage said
they couldn't: they didn't have a car, couldn't afford
to, lived paycheck to paycheck, etc.

Simple line of reasoning: addictions of any kind will
contribute to poverty.  Many addictions will cause people
to be unfit for working a 9 to 5, and of course they are
expensive.  A heavy smoker will often burn more money on
tobacco than on food.  So addictions may have contributed
to poverty which contributed to non-fleeing, which certainly
now contributed to poverty and suffering, which may contribute
to addiction.  Oy freeking vey!

To make matters worse, imagine living in a neighborhood
where addictions are common, where the supply of *everything*
is suddenly cut off: not just no food, no water, no power, no
medicine (which would be bad enough) but now addicts with no
tobacco, no alcohol, no crack, no heroine, no meth, acting even
more crazy than before, because the FEMA and Red Cross don't
bring them smokes, alcohol or recreational drugs!

Did anyone take that into account?

Wonder if we could hire the dope smugglers to carry in
emergency food and medical supplies, then pay them the
wages to which they are so fondly accustomed?