[extropy-chat] Re: Ethics and evolution

MB mbb386 at main.nc.us
Tue Sep 6 10:42:47 UTC 2005

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005, spike wrote:

> They price raisers also run the risk of driving
> away clientele permanently.  I saw this when a
> station went to 3 bucks a gallon the day the
> shock and awe campaign started.  I was out of
> fuel and needed to buy some there, but fortunately
> I was on a motorcycle so I bought only half a
> gallon, drove twenty miles on that and filled
> up.  The locals wouldn't buy gas there anymore.

Ha! We have that here - one station went up $1 more than all the
others. I heard over and over from local folks that *those* people had
lost their business - one even told the person at the station.

> All pricing is a calculated risk.  I don't criticize
> the business owner, I just take my trade elsewhere.
> Gasoline is not different than other consumables.

I'm never quite sure how much it is the owner - it may be the oil
company prices were different? Say, Exxon charges the station more
than Chevron does, so the prices at the pump are quite different?

No matter, the place that went so high was next to the interstate -
and a national brand - it will catch the tourists. Fine. Let them have
the tourists. The locals, year-in year-out regulars, the
bread-and-butter of any business, will go elsewhere. :)

Regards,
MB