[extropy-chat] PEAK OIL: Alternate laptop fuel for you buffalo tech-nomads....(Spike, this means you)

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 22:12:27 UTC 2005

On 9/6/05, Mike Lorrey wrote:
> "The students put a few of these cells together and
> were able to fuel their rechargeable batteries over and over again,"
> researcher Ann Christy explained. "We've run some of these trials well
> over 30 days without a decrease in the voltage output. The study
> suggests that cow waste is a promising fuel source. It's cheap and
> plentiful, and it may someday be a useful source of sustainable energy
> in developing parts of the world."

<http://news.softpedia.com/news/A-16-year-old-Boy-Invented-A-Hamster-Powered-Phone-Charger-7038.shtml>

Peter Ash of Lawford, Somerset invented a hamster-powered mobile phone
charger, as part of his GCSE science project.
The boy attached a generator to his pet's exercise wheel and connected
it to his phone charger. While Elvis the hamster does the legwork,
Peter charges his phone according to all environmental and economical
laws.
"I thought the wheel could be made to do something useful so I
connected a system of gears and a turbine", Peter said.  "Every two
minutes Elvis spends on his wheel gives me about thirty minutes talk
time on my phone", he proudly explained.

BillK