[extropy-chat] IFTF's Future Now: Michael Chorost on Cochlear Implants and Transhumanism

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 pgptag at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 13:47:12 UTC 2005

It is true that technology cannot match biology yet for whole bodies, but
give time to time - someday bionics may do better than "naturally" evolved
biology. I think restoration is considered feasible already and enhancement
is not, so "ordinary people" do not think of enhancement yet. However, this
article is interesting:
IFTF Future Now blog <http://future.iftf.org/2005/09/michael_chorost.html>: On
August 31st, Michael Chorost <http://www.michaelchorost.com/>, author
of Rebuilt
: How Becoming Part Computer Made Me More
Human<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?tag=relevanthisto-20%26link_code=xm2%26camp=2025%26creative=165953%26path=http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html%253fASIN=0618378294%2526tag=relevanthisto-20%2526lcode=xm2%2526cID=2025%2526ccmID=165953%2526location=/o/ASIN/0618378294%25253FSubscriptionId=02ZH6J1W0649DTNS6002>,
spoke at the Institute... [He] talked a bit about the transhumanist
literature. He describes himself as trying to stake out a middle ground
between enthusiasts like Kevin Warwick and critics like Francis Fukuyama; he
sees his work emphasizing the complexity of the human body, and the
necessity of soft approaches such as training and social infrastructure to
gain maximum benefit from whatever technology is developed. (I thought he
was the first transhumanist author to really emphasize the "human" over the
"trans.")
He's also more skeptical of claims that new technologies will transform
humans. Almost all current technologies are used to restore senses or
sensory capabilities, rather than extend or enhance. Restoration is the goal
of most ordinary people, and is difficult enough: "I am skeptical of
potential for enhancement via bionics," on the grounds that our natural
sensory organs are fantastically sophisticated, and reproducing them-- or
completely new things-- will be very hard to create. Further, in the
pre-nanotech state of the art, "bionics is big and clunky: it works on the
scale of millimeters. The body works at the level of nanometers. We're not
even close" to matching the body's capabilities and scale.