[extropy-chat] Re: peak oil debate framed from a game theory standpoint ?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Sep 7 16:54:31 UTC 2005

On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 11:50:42AM -0400, Robin Hanson wrote:

> So why are you not speculating in these markets to make all the money
> you think is there to be taken.  Or are you also one of those fools?

I'm one of those fools who think that gaming the market for personal
gain, *while making the actual problem worse* is kinda unethical.
Some sticky residuals of communist upbringing, no doubt. "Learn
some real trade, son!".

(It is also quite easy to be ethical, if one has no Monopoly money
to play, of course).

Still, if I did I'd invest in companies selling photovoltaics, aeolean,
solar thermal, and the like. As far as I know these companies which
have good products are doing very well.

Now investing in fuel cell startups, and all kind of lunatic-fringe
companies is far more hasardeur. Big potential payoff, big risk.