[extropy-chat] The Hidden Luddite was Re: peak oil debate

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Thu Sep 8 23:23:34 UTC 2005

On Sep 8, 2005, at 3:38 PM, Adrian Tymes wrote:

> --- Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:
>
>> Business has no way of legally initiating force against anyone.
>> Governments do.  This is the crucial and often overlooked difference
>> in a nutshell.
>>

> Ah, but is it force to lie to someone and sell them poison when they
> think they are purchasing food?

Yes. it is fraud.  Which is illegal.  Again. business has no mans of
*legally* initiating force.  That is the sole province of
government.  That is why it behooves us to carefully delimit government.

> Is it force to make sure that
> customers have access to complete (or as complete as possible)
> information about a company before doing business with them?

That depends on the type of informaiton and how it was gathered and
is neither here no there for what I was attempting to communicate.

- samantha