[extropy-chat] ExI - Discussing Ideas and Debating them

Dirk Bruere dirk.bruere at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 19:08:30 UTC 2005

On 9/12/05, nvitamore at austin.rr.com <nvitamore at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> From: Dirk
>
> >How about scrapping ExI-Chat and replacing it with:
> >ExI-Society
> >ExI-Technology
> >ExI-Debate
> >etc?
>
> How about:
>
> ExI-transhumanist-society, etc.?
>
> The problem is that when ExI formed I do not believe that it anticipated
> aother transhumanist organization coming along and discounting its
> origination of the philosophy of transhumanism and it major contributions
> to the transhumanist movement. BIG disappointment.
>
> Well, the origins of Transhumanism go back before ExI.
Back in the mid-70s we referred to ourselves as "Immortalists" and were
talking about such technologies as computer interfacing to the brain and
uploading. I doubt we were the first to do so.

Was ExI the first org that could call itself Transhumanist (and no, just
renaming something does not count).

And to answer another comment on my suggestion for splitting the list, I
just threw it in as a possibility.
If sub-categories were created I don't believe they would work simply
because ExI-Chat would undermine their effectiveness.

Dirk