[extropy-chat] Nuke the Great Satan

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 16 21:11:44 UTC 2005

http://www.fas.org/main/content.jsp?formAction=297&contentId=367

The info blurb on the linked page says:

Nuclear Weapon Effects Calculator

This interactive tool is intended to give an idea of
the devastating blast effects of ground-level, shallow
subsurface, and low-altitude nuclear weapon
detonations. It is relevant to traditional nuclear
weapons, potential terrorist attacks, and next
generation nuclear weapons such as "Bunker Busters" or
“Robust Nuclear Earth Penetrators” (RNEPs). (Despite
the name, “Earth Penetrators” will not penetrate far
into hard rock and can be considered “surface” bursts
when using the bomb calculator.)

High definition aerial maps of selected U.S. cities
have been provided. The size of the bomb can be chosen
by selecting the weapon’s yield, as measured in
kilotons (KT) or megatons (MT) of TNT equivalent.
There is also the option of having the bomb delivered
using an automobile at ground level or using an
aircraft flying at an altitude that produces the
widest area of destruction.

          *********************************

I hope no one will be offended, but I found this nifty
little site provided by the Federation of American
Scientists.  Unfortunately, those who would prefer
fantasizing about the nuclear obliteration of say,
France or Iran or (insert name of preferred non-US
victim country) will have to bear up under a certain
degree of disappointment.  Also, there's no NY, NY.  A
clear oversight.

So, red state or blue, rich or poor, black or white,
muslim/atheist/christian/jew, ethnic cleansers all,
"go tribal!" and pick your targets.  Also, if there
are any programmers out there who could help tweak the
Java thingie that makes this work, I would really like
to add a "Neutron Weapons" option so that I could
enjoy the lasting pleasure of toying with the pure
lethality and duration/intensity of suffering to be
expected from a honkin' big pulse of neutron
radiation.  You know, how may people will die, how
long they will take depending on exposure, plus the
not-immediately-lethal outcomes and, of course, the
post-event cancer forecast.  All the gruesome details.

Have a nice day.

Best, Jeff Davis

"No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental
ills of society. If we're looking for the sources of
our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we
should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and
love of power." - P. J. O'Rourke