[extropy-chat] Madcap runs into the rocks !! (extremophiles in industry)

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Tue Sep 20 01:30:45 UTC 2005

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of M.B. Baumeister
> >
> > http://www.mauinews.com/story.aspx?id=12506
> >
> > Amara
> > (with a lump in her throat)
>

> We humans often imbue inanimate objects with personalities, making the
> loss painful...

I can show you a motorcycle with an actual personality:
it knows its master.  For some odd reason it will only
start and run for me.  Others who have attempted to
operate him have met with unsatisfactory results.

Most motorcycles are shes, but this one is male, for
it is a stallion.  I call him Rocinante, for this
was the name of Don Quixote's horse and John Steinbeck's
truck.

My wife and I returned yesterday evening from a ten day
motorcycle tour of the west on Rocinante.  We went to
Yellowstone Park to look at old growth forests, but there
were few, actually none of these to be found.  But I was
astounded by the geysers and geological features.  I was
with a group which included a PhD in geology.  This made
the trip worthwhile just to listen to him.

I learned of a bacterium that was taken from one of
the hot springs that can live in boiling water (at
that altitude it is ~93C).  The GM people were using
it to create industrial products and pharmaceuticals.
This ran afoul of a law regarding the use of a national
park for commercial products.  The case is still
ongoing, and carries many important implications for
intellectual property law.

If you get a chance for a vacation, I highly recommend
Yellowstone Park.

spike

Here's what I found on the extremophiles:

BY CHRISTOPHER SMITH
 THE SALT LAKE TRIBUNE

Yellowstone National Park will receive a royalty of 0.5 percent for
industrial and pharmaceutical products derived from the microscopic bugs
found in geysers and thermal pools under secret terms of a first-ever
"bioprospecting" deal.

That is way too low, according to watchdog groups that have brought suit
against the National Park Service over the park's contract with a private
firm. But Yellowstone officials say the royalty amounts are better than
nothing, which is all the park has received from past discoveries of
microbes that yield valuable commercial products.

The Park Service has refused to make public the financial specifics of
the agreement between Yellowstone and Diversa Inc. of San Diego, a
biotechnology firm. But The Salt Lake Tribune recently obtained a copy of
the payment schedule, which details royalty amounts ranging up to 10
percent for commercial uses besides industrial and pharmaceutical
products.

With Vice President Al Gore looking on in August 1997 at Yellowstone's
125th anniversary celebration, Diversa officials and Yellowstone park
managers signed the novel "benefit sharing" contract. Today, the
Yellowstone-Diversa pact is the subject of two federal lawsuits in
Washington. A coalition of environmental and technology watchdog groups
have sued the Park Service, contending Yellowstone illegally
commercialized natural resources owned by all Americans without the
consent of the public.

In March, a federal judge hearing one of the lawsuits ruled in favor of
the watchdog groups, suspended the Diversa contract and ordered the park
to conduct an environmental impact study on bioprospecting with public
input.  A second suit challenges the Park Service's refusal to disclose
the amount of money Yellowstone will receive from Diversa for allowing
the company to license and sell products and research derived from
organisms collected in the park and then cloned in Diversa's labs. Last
year, several organizations,including The Tribune and the
Washington-based Natural Resources News Service, unsuccessfully appealed
the Department of Interior's ruling that the royalties were confidential.

However, The Tribune independently obtained a copy of the secret royalty
amounts, which shows Diversa will give Yellowstone:
-- A $20,000 payment annually for five years, minus any royalties accrued
by the park from net sales or revenues of commercially viable products
derived from Yellowstone microorganisms.
-- Royalties of 0.5 percent of net sales of industrial or pharmaceutical
products resulting from Yellowstone microbes, 3 percent of net sales of
"research reagent or diagnostic" products made from Yellowstone genetic
resources and 8 percent of net sales of "native enzymes purified from
cultured microorganisms" found in the park.
-- A royalty of 10 percent of net revenues realized by Diversa from the
licensing, assignment or sale of copyrighted work -- such as books,
journal articles or genetic code -- created using the results of research
from Yellowstone biological resources.
-- Equipment and up to 10 days of scientific training, worth an estimated
$15,000 annually.

The financial rewards Yellowstone receives in return for allowing Diversa
to commercialize park resources -- believed by some experts to be a
multibillion-dollar biotechnology gold mine -- struck critics of the
agreement as astonishingly low.

"This is a rotten deal," said Joe Mendelson, legal director for the
International Center for Technology Assessment in Washington, which
brought suit on behalf of the watchdog organizations against the Park
Service over the Diversa deal.

"Yellowstone held all the cards and they gave it away for a song and a
dance," he said. "These are not federal lands where it's legal to harvest
timber or mine coal, this is a national park to be protected for future
generations. And to the extent they're allowing a commercial exploitation
inside a national park at a far lower royalty rate than you find on lands
legally allowed to be commercially exploited, it is just preposterous."

Royalties paid by private companies to the U.S. Treasury for the right to
harvest natural resources for commercial sale from public lands are
traditionally higher than half of 1 percent. The standard royalty rate
that energy companies pay the federal government to extract oil and gas
from Bureau of Land Management-administered property is 12.5 percent. But
Yellowstone officials and the private consultant the park hired to help
broker the Diversa contract defended the royalty schedule as a good deal
for American taxpayers that protects the unique resource while
guaranteeing financial compensation should any discoveries be made.

"For us, any amount is better than zero," said Yellowstone Park
Superintendent Mike Finley. "We were issuing research permits and seeing
no return. As we gain experience with this, we will probably get closer
to that magic number we should be at, but we were comfortable with this
range [of royalties]."

Preston Scott, director of the World Foundation for Environment and
Development, a Washington-based organization hired by Yellowstone to help
park officials negotiate the Diversa contract, said it's impossible to
compare a bioprospecting "benefits sharing package" to a standard
public-land resource royalty contract.

"There's not a proven commodity here, because you're dealing with so many
variables before you know if you even have a product that can come to
market," he said. "Under this agreement, if Diversa discovers nothing,
the park still gets a $100,000 minimum contribution and Diversa gets
nothing. But in my experience, no matter what financial arrangements you
make, 50 percent of the population will say the royalties are too low and
50 percent will say they are too high."

There is no recognized standard benchmark for royalties paid for
bioprospecting access, since the industry is emerging,dynamic and highly
speculative. One newly published book, The Commercial Use of Biodiversity
by Kerry Ten Kate and Sarah A. Laird, includes a survey of average
royalty rates paid by biotech firms. Forgenetic material that results in
a commercially viable product,the authors found companies paying at least
5 percent and as much as 10 percent royalties -- substantially higher
than the 0.5 percent in the Yellowstone deal.

But many experts believe it's difficult to draw any conclusions about
whether one benefit-sharing contract is better than another.

"I wish there was an easy approach to judging the fairness of these
agreements, but there is not," said Michael A. Gollin, a partner
specializing in intellectual property law at Venable,Baetjer, Howard and
Civiletti in Washington. "A company like Diversa is investing millions of
dollars in research based on natural resources, which is something the
government can't andwould not ever do. The government is leveraging the
resource into a useful product, hopefully for the betterment of quality
of life in a way they can't otherwise do, providing a social benefit
beyond upfront payments and royalties."

National and international laws governing the collection and
commercialization of genetic material are evolving, as is public opinion
of genetic research. The field is highly controversial -- many activist
organizations take the position that tinkering with genetic codes, the
fundamental building blocks of all life on the planet, is asking for
trouble. Some question whether national parks should be viewed as
genetic-material supermarkets.

"Is 'intellectual property' an appropriate way to describe all life and
life forms in Yellowstone?" said Beth Burrows of the Edmonds Institute in
Edmonds, Wash., which joined with the Center for Technology Assessment
and the Alliance for the Wild Rockies in suing the Park Service over the
Diversa agreement.

"Is this what we expect from our park stewards? In this case, one of
environmental justice at its fundamental level, there was a backroom deal
and the American public was not consulted," she said.

The Yellowstone bioprospecting contract underscores the increasing
dilemma that federal land managers confront in the face of a
bio-technological revolution. An increasing number of companies around
the world are searching out, cloning, manipulating and patenting genetic
sequences derived from microbes living in everything from Antarctic ice
floes to a handful of backyard garden soil.Resulting products have ranged
from new medicines to a stouter-tasting beer. Nature preserves, such as
some national parks, contain a wide range of biological diversity with
unique genetic materials that are emerging as one of the world's most
valuable resources. Yellowstone's famous thermal features --mudpots,
steam vents and acidic pools -- are especially attractive to
bioprospectors because they hold "extremophiles," organisms that can
tolerate extreme climates of heat and harsh chemicals.

Pharmaceutical giant Hoffman-LaRouche focused attention on Yellowstone's
potentially lucrative microbial resources by using Thermus aquaticus, or
"Taq," a microbe first identified in one of the park's thermal pools, as
the basis for the process now known as "DNA fingerprinting." It
revolutionized biotechnology and has yielded billions of dollars in
revenues, yet Hoffman-LaRouche has not and is under no legal obligation
to share any proceeds with Yellowstone.

"If Yellowstone had been getting 0.5 percent royalty from
Hoffman-LaRouche on the hundreds of millions of dollars earned on Taq,
the park and the American public would be doing very well right now,"
said Scott.

Diversa also was under no obligation to share any potential wealth with
Yellowstone, but company officials have said they wanted to make
arrangements in advance to avoid future disputes, should a valuable
bioprospecting discovery be made.The company was one of many that had
routinely collected samples of water or mud from Yellowstone's geysers
under free, no-obligation scientific research permits issued by the park.

"We have a research mandate but we saw these discoveries happening and
the park was not sharing in the revenue stream," said Finley. "As
superintendent, I could have stopped all research activity, or I could
have kept things business as usual and not gotten any return for the
park, or I could do what we did and try to get us some financial gain
while better understanding the resources we have here."

But Mendelson scoffs at the argument the Diversa deal was the only
alternative. "The research permitting system in place in Park Service
regulations does not allow for commercial interests to come in and
exploit the resource, but, instead of enforcing that,Yellowstone simply
said, 'We can't do anything about it so let's make a deal,' " said
Mendelson. "And then they claim they are protecting the resource. That's
garbage. Allowing commercial exploitation is not protecting the park."

(C)Salt Lake Tribune 1999

***************************
***************************

Wednesday, September 29, 1999

       BY CHRISTOPHER SMITH

       THE SALT LAKE TRIBUNE

A bio-tech company probing Yellowstone National Park's  geysers for
commercially valuable microbes under a controversial agreement with the
Park Service is now in hot water in Mexico over a similar
"bioprospecting" contract.

Diversa, a San Diego-based biotechnology company, was given the right in
a secret 1997 contract to commercialize products from Yellowstone's
unique heat-loving micro-organisms. The company cut a similar deal last
year with Mexico's NationalAutonomous University (UNAM).

Now, Mexican officials are charging that the Diversa deal violates
environmental-protection laws and returns only a "pittance" in royalties
to the Mexican people in exchange for bioprospecting in undisclosed areas.

The charges are nearly identical to those lodged against Diversa's deal
with Yellowstone by various watchdog groups that have brought suit
against the National Park Service in federal court over a
precedent-setting "cooperative research and development agreement" signed
by Yellowstone park officials.

In March, a federal judge in Washington ruled the contract represented a
"dramatic change" in national park policy and was conducted without
adequate public input.

The deal marked the first time a national park would stand to profit from
commercializing natural resources within park boundaries. But how much
profit remains a secret. Yellowstone officials have refused to release
the specific amount of royalties the park would receive from Diversa
under the deal. The lawsuit is continuing.

In Mexico, officials say they, too, may bring suit against Diversa and
the National Autonomous University over that bioprospecting deal.

"It is very clear this agreement violates Mexican environmental
legislation, Mexican patent statutes, and, insofar as the payments to the
university, the royalties are remarkably low to be ridiculous," said
Alejandro Nadal, a lawyer, journalist and professor with the Center for
Economic Studies at El Colegio de Mexico.

In Tuesday's editions of one of Mexico's largest newspapers, La Jornada,
Nadal and UNAM lawyer Alberto Szekely each wrote counterpoint columns
about the agreement.

Nadal labeled it the "looting" of Mexico's genetic resources, while
Szekely defended the arrangement as an opportunity for collaborative work
with royalties directed to the preservation of the environment.

A Diversa spokesperson on Tuesday said the company was not aware of the
allegations made against the UNAM contract and the firm stood by the
agreement as a way to better understand the microbial diversity in
Mexico's various habitats. When Diversa announced the UNAM contract in
November, the company  issued a press release stressing the agreement was
"fully compliant with Mexican law and international treatises."

In the speculative world of bioprospecting -- where scientists seek out
new genetic material in everything from underwater thermal vents to
rotting whale carcasses -- Mexico is considered a gold mine. While Mexico
has only 1.3 percent of the world's land area, it holds 14.4 percent of
the world's plant species.

But Nadal claims Diversa was given the keys to the kingdom for a
"pittance." Access to Mexico's biodiversity was given by UNAM -- which
may not even have legal authority over the Mexican federal lands -- in
exchange for equipment valued at $5,000, technical training in
bioprospecting, $50 for each sample collected, royalties of 0.5 percent
on pharmaceuticals derived from the samples and 0.3 percent royalties for
any other products derived from the samples.

"This is barely enough to hire a research assistant for one semester, yet
not a finger was raised by the university to obtain a higher level of
royalties," Nadal said during a telephone press conference Tuesday.

Beth Burrows, director of the Edmonds Institute in Edmonds, Wash. -- one
of the U.S. organizations that has brought suit against Diversa's
Yellowstone bioprospecting deal -- said the negotiation tactics used in
Mexico are identical to what happened in America's most famous national
park.

"These companies are used to going in and finding someone
who will take a handful of beads for Manhattan," said Burrows, who joined
Nadal in Tuesday's press conference. "In both cases, there was an end-run
around the laws created to make sure the owners of these lands have a say
in determining what happens to the resources."

Nadal also claims that details of Yellowstone's royalty schedule were
used in the UNAM negotiations by Diversa. Although he did not have
documentation of the Yellowstone royalty schedule, he said the park was
receiving as much as 10 percent of net sales from Diversa products,
substantially higher than the Mexican agreement.

"This is really discriminatory treatment, by all means," said Nadal.
Diversa contends the UNAM contract compensation amounts released by Nadal
Tuesday are incomplete and do not include all elements of the agreement.
Plus,
company officials say the Mexican contract includes a "most favored
nation" clause that allows parity with any other Diversa contract
--including Yellowstone's --that would pay UNAM amounts equal to other
Diversa clients.

(C)Salt Lake Tribune 1999