[extropy-chat] Re: NASA going back to the moon

Elaine Walker elaine at ziaspace.com
Tue Sep 20 05:00:50 UTC 2005

Hi all,

It thought I'd contribute some information about the pro-space community's
reaction to NASA's back-to-the-moon plans.

There are very mixed feelings within the pro-space community about NASA's
back-to-the-moon plans which were just announced. I'm still trying to
decide where I stand, personally. I tend to agree with SAS's arguments for
why Apollo style is the wrong way to go, however, I want NASA to succeed
with this one! It's incredible that NASA has this opportunity! I hope they
don't muck it up or come up with a dead-end plan. If they don't
incorporate enough infrastructure (ie. if they build big apollo rockets
that are thrown away each time) and don't incorporate any orbital assembly
into the plan (which they'll need if they want to, say, go to Mars
eventually!), this could be a dead end. This plan was just released and it
may change. It probably won't change much though. Radical changes within
NASA would have to occur - people would have to be fired, entire NASA
offices closed, a mature bureacracy reworked from the inside out - in
order to do it the RIGHT way. So maybe it's the wrong way or no way at
all. I'd be interested in your opinions!

The Space Access Society's most recent update has some good arguments for
why it's a BAD idea for NASA to do it Apollo style. (The Space Access
Society's sole purpose is to promote radical reductions
in the cost of reaching space.)

      http://www.space-access.org/updates/sau112.html

The National Space Society supports the plan. (NSS has a reputation for
being NASA's cheerleaders. Although they have tried hard to get away from
that stereotype in the last few years, they seem to be cheering for NASA
at the moment.)

      http://nss.org/news/releases/pr20050919.html

I'm not sure yet what the official stance of the Space Frontier Foundation
is, but I assume it will be somewhere in between... A press release will
probably pop up soon here:

      http://www.spacefrontierfoundation.org

Just a heads up... When all is said and done, the Space Access Society is
usually RIGHT - usually the ones to say "We told you so". I've notice that
with just about every pro-space issue. That scares me in this case because
I really want NASA to succeed with this one!

-Elaine

----------------------
Elaine Walker
elaine at ziaspace.com