[extropy-chat] Re: NASA going back to the moon

giorgio gaviraghi giogavir at yahoo.it
Tue Sep 20 10:24:03 UTC 2005

by the time that men will return to the moon
,according to the latest Nasa proposal, it will be
around the mark of the 50th anniversary of the first
landing.
At that time slide rule and paper pads were still<
much in use with engineers, portable calculators nor
fax machines were invented, not to mention the pc or
internet.
After half a century of progress nasa is proposing the
same old technolocy, entirely disposable system, high
costs, even parachute landing in the prairies.
While return to the moon and future human expansion is
a must, such approach will, if approved and not
canceled during the future years, lead to the
followig:
-creation of a station in the moon, after 100
billions, excluding cost overruns, spent on throw away
hardware,
-abandoning of the station when they finally will
discover that each housekeping, and useless for
science or manufacturing purposes, mission will cost
billions of dollars
-further 50 years setback for the space plan
At this point Nasa and the participating agencies
should have the courage to :
-abandon the space shuttle as a vehicle that didn't
reach its design goals (slashing accessibility costs
to space ), is costly and dangerous
-abandon the space station as a useless engineering
nightmare
it has no mission , no purpose and its design is
complicated, expensive and dangerous to complete
-start a space transportation system plan with
entirely reusable, commercial airline type of
operation system for orbital accessibility, including
a tug for out of orbital< missions , a cycler for moon
or mars missions, entirely reusable and based in a
simple space station for overhaul and maintenence,
completed with two way landers from the cycler to the
land stations
-implement a space infrastructural system to support
the transportation system with orbital and land
stations   around  main bodies
Once such system will be operational and managed by
private enterprise, every mission will be possible and
affordable and the conditions for space development
will be met
The proposed return risk a further half a century
setback, mankind cannot afford that.