[extropy-chat] FWD (SK) Nuclear Energy: A Fallacious Response tothe Oil Crisis (renewable fuels)

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 21 17:06:55 UTC 2005

Large engined vehicles could save dramatically on fuel if they were
merely reprogrammed for variable piston ignition and refitted with
solenoid controlled valves. Varying the number of pistons firing at any
given time is a huge help. Other things that can be done cheaply:
platinum coated piston heads, to move catalytic burning to the engine,
and water condensation from exhaust for electronically controlled
reinjection.

As for the nuke article: France does consume 50% of its electricity
needs from nuclear power. Once you factor in all non-electric energy
uses (heating, transportation), it drops to 17% of the total energy
budget. They still use three times more nuclear power than the global
average.

As for her pooh-poohing the 30 Chinese reactors, the point is that the
Chinese are not huge consumers of electricity compared to, say, France.
They can put ten million people on a given reactor that would only make
one million French happy. So, 30 Chinese reactors is the same as 300
French ones.

Mike Lorrey
Founder, Constitution Park Foundation:
http://constitutionpark.blogspot.com