[extropy-chat] Re: Profile the Great Satan? (Peter Fedak)

David Lubkin extropy at unreasonable.com
Thu Sep 22 00:53:13 UTC 2005

Peter Fedak wrote:

>If the entire problem is to be addressed, a step back should be
>taken to analyze the broader picture. The US's market economy is
>very strong and the way of life here is vastly different from other
>parts of the world. Some people live in poverty, some live in
>wealth. However, few live better than Americans. So, knowing human
>nature, what would make those with little the most upset? Those with
>the more than them. As the wealthiest nation, we are wearing a red,
>white and blue target for that resentment. How can it be resolved?
>The answer to that would solve the problem of terrorism.

Assumes facts not in evidence. What you wrote is rife with
presumptions that need not be presumed. They can, rather, be tested.

But we can start with plausibility.

(a) Switzerland is rich and not attacked.
(b) The 9/11 hijackers were not poor.
(c) There are many millions of poor Tibetan Buddhists and Indian
Hindi, none of whom have attacked the US.
(d) Terrorists attacked Indonesia.

Now resentment's another story. I think you have a better case there.

On the other hand, there's the common phenomenon of "Yankee go home!
.... But take me with you."

-- David.