[extropy-chat] Bloke No; Baby Yes

Olga Bourlin fauxever at sprynet.com
Mon Sep 26 05:43:41 UTC 2005

From: "Emlyn" <emlynoregan at gmail.com>

> "People want everything now. If they can't have a baby now, they want IVF.
> They think it's no different from putting your name down for a handbag.
> Some people are horrified by the idea that they have to have sex two to
> three times a week. About 10 per cent of people I see don't have time to
> have sex. It's usually when you have two professionals who are based in
> the city and are very busy."

> Here's a clue from a parent...> IF you don't have time to have sex two or
> three times a week> THEN you don't have time to have a child.  > I pity
> their offspring.

Oh, I don't know.  There may be many reasons why some women may choose this
course.

e.g., from Marilyn Vos Savant's March 11, 2001 column in Parade Magazine:

Question:  Do you think it's proper for a financially independent single
woman to use a man to father her child with his consent and then purposely
raise the child on her own?

Answer:  Plenty of women get married and have children, then get divorced
and would be delighted never to see the men again - so I don't see what's so
different about the scenario you describe, except that there may be less
trauma for all concerned!

Yes, I think this modern family style is acceptable, but I think the woman
should select an anonymous donor (artificial insemination) instead of a
known sperm donor, in order to avoid any possibly future complications with
him.  In addition, if she later finds the man of her dreams and gets
married, her husband will then be able to become a father to her child much
more easily.

P.S.  A single friend of mine made this choice, and her child is one lucky
youngster to have such a warm, loving and capable parent to raise him.  She
is easily one of the finest mothers I know.