[extropy-chat] Bloke No; Baby Yes

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 06:57:39 UTC 2005

On 26/09/05, Olga Bourlin <fauxever at sprynet.com> wrote:
> From: "Emlyn" <emlynoregan at gmail.com>
> >
> > The only problem I have is with this: "About 10 per cent of people I see
> > don't have time to have sex. It's usually when you have two professionals
> > who are based in the city and are very busy." Again,
>  I'll say that if you have no other issue than that you don't have time
>  to have sex, you aren't fit to be a parent. You've got to change your
>  life drastically before you will be. Well off people with no time for
>  their kids really rate low on the parent scale IMO.
>
> Maybe this is being relegated to nannies and/or day care these days?  In the
> past, many wealthy people had governesses or nannies.

Some people keep their kids in cardboard boxes in the cupboard, too.

>  And many
> not-so-wealthy people had a "village" approach to childrearing.

Yes, but this still entails people spending time on the kids. Just in
a more flexible fashion - sometime you have no kids, sometimes you
have 20.

It's good for people to have options. Sometimes people who become
parents find out that they are crap at being parents, and hate doing
it, so it's good when the social infrastructure provides some kind of
humane alternative. However, why would you have a child, planning to
never spend time with them? You'd be better off sponsoring 3rd world
kids through oxfam or world vision.

> And even not such wealthy people - e.g., I was reared by amahs (one in
> Nanking when I was very young, and one in Taiwan when I was older), and
> still passionately loved my mother and was loved by her even though I've
> never known her to bake ONE cookie for me - or any cookies, ever, come to
> think of it. :-]
>
> Olga

Some of us are bad at cooking :-) I'm sure she spent some kind of time
with you though. It's hard to attach to someone who is never there.

Bad parenting with money seems to be summed up by these people:
http://alphamom.com/

--
Emlyn

http://emlynoregan.com   * blogs * music * software *