[extropy-chat] Bloke No; Baby Yes

Olga Bourlin fauxever at sprynet.com
Mon Sep 26 07:24:36 UTC 2005

From: "Emlyn" <emlynoregan at gmail.com>
>> And even not such wealthy people - e.g., I was reared by amahs (one in>>
>> Nanking when I was very young, and one in Taiwan when I was older), and>>
>> still passionately loved my mother and was loved by her even though
>> I've>> never known her to bake ONE cookie for me - or any cookies, ever,
>> come to
>> think of it. :-]

> Some of us are bad at cooking :-) I'm sure she spent some kind of time>
> with you though. It's hard to attach to someone who is never there.

Oh, I wasn't complaining about the cookies - that was a kind of facetious
remark on my part (I was thinking of the flack about Hillary Clinton who
said she never had time to make cookies or some such thing during Clinton's
first presidential election).  And I didn't mean to give the impression that
my mother was not there when I was young -  actually, she was there 24/7
(until I was in school, at which time she took on a paying job).  The amah
was an "extra" hand ... who lived with us.

> Bad parenting with money seems to be summed up by these people:

http://alphamom.com/

I took a fast overall look - didn't delve too deeply - but didn't see
anything wrong.  I was armed only with a paperback copy of "Dr. Spock" when
I went into the whole childrearing experience - and I would have loved to
have had Google and the internet and email lists and all that is available
to women now.

Olga