[extropy-chat] A few points of interest for future historians

Marc Geddes m_j_geddes at yahoo.com.au
Wed Sep 28 07:09:37 UTC 2005

>...From now on I'm determined to 'do an Eli' and only ever open my mouth
>when I'm absolutely certain of something and can back it up...
>

>I did not realize Eli invented it, but it
>is sage advice for all of us.

Yeah, I've come to the conclusion that any really new original ideas need to either be kept completely to oneself or written up and submitted to peer reviewed journals.  There's no point in firing off wild speculations on-line.  I did go nuts for a while there.... I was desperate to break-through to that *glimmer* of transhuman awareness that would give me at least a fuzzy but real understanding of the secret to FAI.  Now that I think I've finally had that glimmer of transhuman consciousness I'm totally calm and at peace :)

>...Any way, I don't want to get into a fight with the SL4 er's spike...
>

>Nor do we.  Eli is our friend.

Eli's a brilliant thinker but not someone I can deal with as a person.  I wish the Sing Inst team all the best (even though I'm now absolutely certain they're still a million miles away from real AGI).

I think there's a difference between Altruism and Sociability.  An entity could be very 'Friendly' in the sense of *Morality*, but still be very unpleasant to be around because it lacks *Sociability*.  And the converse is also true.  An entity could have a great deal of *Sociabilility* and seem pleasant to be around, but really be horribly 'Unfriendly' in the sense of Morality.

For instance con-men, sociopaths, used car sales-men and politicians often have very high *Sociability* , but not *Morality*.

An AGI that only had Friendliness in the technical sense (Morality) could still be very unpleasant to be around if it lacked *Sociability* .

Cheers!

---

Please vist my website:
http://www.riemannai.org