[extropy-chat] A few points of interest for future historians

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 15:24:37 UTC 2005

On 9/28/05, Eliezer S. Yudkowsky wrote:
> I'm sorry to be blunt about this, but there comes a time when you have
> to put up a sign, and people who aren't taller than the sign shouldn't
> be riding the roller coaster.

Sorry, Eli, but you just don't understand the modern educational
system. You must never tell anyone that they can't do something.
Encouragement is the PC way.

See:
<http://news.scotsman.com/education.cfm?id=1654192005>
(Use Bugmenot.com to bypass signon)

THE word "fail" should be deleted from the school vocabulary and
replaced with the term "deferred success", the conference of a leading
teaching union will hear next week.

Martin Goold, the Suffolk secretary of the NUT, said: "I would have
thought that the word fail had been eradicated from most educational
settings already.

"I can't think of any situation where it is used, apart from a public
examination, where the lowest grade is the letter F, the first letter
of the word fail."

In the UK hardly anyone fails exams anymore. The A-level pass rate in
the UK has risen slightly this year to 96.2% of entries.

So you want to be a brain surgeon? - No problem.
And anybody can do AI work - we have the right to do whatever we want.

Competence to do a job seems to be an optional extra in our wonderful PC world.

BillK